Tofush (Tofu ‘Fish’)
1 x Cauldron tofu (or equivalent)
1 x lemon
Light olive oil (for marinating)
2-3 Nori seaweed sheets (+ flakes – optional)
Oil for frying
Vegan beer (cold) (I use Little Valley Brewery Tod Blonde)
Salt, vinegar and lemon to serve
Press the tofu to ~1/2 its original size
Cut the pressed tofu into Tofush pieces: into 3 and then once horizontally so you have 6 pieces about the size of small chocolate bars.
- Squeeze half a lemon into the Cauldron tofu box.
- Add the same volume of olive oil, add a generous sprinkle of salt and pepper to taste and 1 teaspoon of finely cut nori (or nori flakes).
- Mix well and add the tofu. Prick the tofu with a fork to create holes allowing the marinade to be absorbed easier.
- Leave for as long as possible (1+ hrs), occasionally pushing down on the tofu to encourage absorption.
Wrap the tofu in one layer of nori (the wetter the nori gets the easier it will be to stick to the tofu. Leave to rest for 5 minutes.
- Mix the following to create a smooth batter
- 125g of plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 230ml beer (cold)
Dip the nori-wrapped tofu into the batter and deep fry in a hot (but not smoking) pan of oil (or deep fat fryer) for 2-3 minutes until golden brown
Serve with salt, vinegar and lemon alongside chips and mushy peas.